Castles are an important part of the Japanese culture and history. Four of them are designated as a National Treasure. Himeji Castle itself contains five specific items listed, which is also designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
During my time in Japan this year, I will try to visit the following castles:
- Nijou, Fushimi, Shouryuuji, Yodo - All in Kyoto City or in close distance
- 和歌山城 - Wakayama Castle, Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture
- 小田原城 - Odawara Castle, Kanagawa Prefecture
- 駿府城 - Sunpu Castle, Shizuoka Prefecture
- 犬山城 - Inuyama Castle, Aichi Prefecture
- 岸和田城 - Kishiwada Castle, Osaka Metropolitan Area
- 竹田城 - Takeda Castle Ruins, Hyogo Prefecture
- 篠山城 - Sasayama Castle, Hyogo Prefecture
- 姫路城 - Himeji Castle, Himeji City, Hyogo Prefecture
- 丸亀城 - Marugame, Kanagawa Prefecture
- 高知城 - Kochi Castle, Kochi, Shikoku
- 松山城 - Matsuyama Castle, Ehime Prefecture
- 明石城 - Akashi Castle, Hyogo Prefecture
- 大阪城 - Osaka Castle, Osaka City
- 掛川城 - Kakegawa Castle, Shizuoka Prefecture
Last year I already visited some of them and few others, listed below with link to a picture from that visit:
Of which the two last ones I did not enter, as they seemed to be over populated at the time.
Plans are always overwhelming, let’s see afterwards how many of those castles listed I actually manage to visit.